Monday, February 3, 2014

My Two Favorite Classes.


Hello Everyone! I hope everyone had a good Super Bowl weekend! Let me just say that Bruno Mars definitely did a great job during his half- time performance. (He’s from Hawaii fyi, lol.) Anyways, I apologize if I haven’t written in a while but things are starting to get a lot busier with school and work and everything. Well, today starts the fourth week of the Spring semester! I can finally say that I’m adjusting fairly to all my professors’ teaching styles, class material, and homework. At this point, I’m really starting to like my ENG 2201 class (Literary Utopias and Dystopias) as well as my MKTG 3000 class (Principles of Marketing).

First off, I’ve always loved reading and writing. Recently, with movies gaining popularity like the Hunger Games, Ender’s Game, and other utopian/dystopian stories, I’ve been more interested in learning about the literary concepts behind these stories. Although this particular class is an elective, I’m very happy with my choice and I’m learning a lot. Being that it is an online course, people tend to think it’s easier than taking it in class or that discussions don’t require much effort. However, our online discussions are very much filled with debate and my classmates are very insightful with their responses to the excerpts and books we read. Currently, we are reading The Giver. We’re only about half- way through but I can already tell that this book is going to be added to my collection of favorites. Without spoiling the plot for you, it is basically a fictional story of a future society where people’s lives are carefully planned by the government. I’m eager to finish the story and read the rest of the assigned books. 
Secondly, my Marketing class is online as well. Marketing is also my major. I chose to study marketing in college because of my heavy involvement in the DECA Marketing Club in high school. From my freshman to senior year, I participated in statewide and nationwide marketing role- play competitions and took many classes geared toward marketing and entrepreneurship. I loved the creative aspect of marketing but also the careful planning that’s involved. I feel like it’s a perfect major for me because I like to be creative but I can also be very meticulous. I believe Marketing offers that mix.
With that said, during these first initial weeks of school, most of my Marketing class work has simply been reading and participating in online discussions. However, we do have a cumulative project coming up that requires us to work with a non- profit organization we are interested in and find the best way to promote their mission and get people to join. This past Friday, my professor hosted a talk/discussion at the Capital One Café in Waikiki. The purpose of the discussion was to act as an opener to our class project. There were about 40+ students from various levels in Marketing (undergraduate and graduate) and we had to discuss the positive and negative aspects of 4 different possible futures of Hawaii. At first I was a little intimidated because I was younger than most of the students, but my group had very insightful dialogue. I like that we were able to meet outside of the usual classroom or online classroom environment. I like that HPU professors provide students with more than just lectures and tests; but a true competency to see the world through different lenses.

Alright everyone, I will be checking in soon! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment