Thursday, January 23, 2014

Spring 2014 Semester Back in Session


 Welcome students and prospective students!

Right now the Spring 2014 semester has just began. I could feel the energy on Tuesday with all the welcome back festivities. There was a study abroad fair on Fort Street Mall and free bentos (a Japanese style packed lunch plate) were given to students during the lunch hour. The whole downtown campus was packed with students catching up with friends and attending their first day of classes. The student lounge and computer lab were already filling up with students printing out syllabi and getting started with their coursework. This semester I’m taking four classes: two in class, and two online. I like setting up my schedule that way because it allows me time to balance school, work, and military training. I take in- class courses that I know are not my strongest subjects or a class that I need face- to- face guidance. I’m taking both Microeconomics and Information Tools for Business in class. Being that I’m a Marketing Major, both of these classes are required for my prerequisites.

After attending my first class for both of these courses, I am excited and nervous. I didn’t do as well as I wanted to in Macroeconomics last semester but my professor assured all of us that as long as we come to class and engage in discussions, we should be fine. My Information Tools for Business professor was also very informative and assuring of the class. It is basically a class where we learn Microsoft Excel and Access. Although I don’t have a lot of experience with Excel, I know that is a very useful program and many careers require some proficiency with Excel. As far as online classes, I’m taking Literary Utopias and Dystopias, which is a subject I’m highly interested in, being an avid reader and writer. My professor is very knowledgeable and has an impressive list of his own literary work. I’m also taking Marketing 3000 online. Ideally, I would have liked to take that course in class. But with my busy schedule, online works fine. I’ve always been interested in Marketing and took a few business- related courses in high school so I’m confident in taking it online. It is also my first official class in my major so it’s always exciting to be transitioning in to higher- level courses!


One thing I would like to note about HPU’s professors is that they are all very knowledgeable and experienced in their subjects. Although some classes may require a lot of lectures, note- taking, and reading, the professors really do their best at making the coursework relatable. This particular semester, I notice that my classes are increasingly becoming project- based versus simply bookwork and reading. Even though it requires a little more effort, I know that this will only help us students be better in the real work force and/or our own entrepreneurial endeavors.  All in all, I’m very excited and anxious to get the ball rolling this semester. Thank you for reading and I will be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment