Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Spring 2014 Preparation/Winter Break Update

What's up everyone? Well, it's the last week before the Spring semester starts. As much as I could use another week of winter break, I'm ready to get another semester knocked out of the way so I can be closer to obtaining my degree. Like most college students these days, I can't afford to simply party and hang out too much. I believe your 20s should be your "fun" years but it is also the best time to build a strong foundation for your career. So, my break has been spent working at my internship and also part- time at the mall.

The good thing about working in the Marketing Department (which I highly encourage you to look in to if you're in a business related major), is that I get to witness a lot of projects going on in the university. While I can't state some of the official business, I can say that there a lot of exciting things happening at HPU. I'm also excited to start the new semester because I get to meet a lot of  students, alumni, and professors who are working on interesting projects in their respective majors, clubs, research, etc. Part of my job is to look for members in the HPU community who are doing it "big" here at home, in the nation, or even worldwide. I believe those stories need to be told in order to bring the HPU community together and showcase the opportunities and experiences HPU offers; not simply for higher education but as an "Ohana- based" professional network.

Furthermore, Hawaii is such a unique place to further your education. One thing I believe HPU offers is a good location. The Hawaii Loa Campus is situated in Oahu's quiet mountainous and green area, making it a perfect place to study in a relaxed natural environment. The Downtown Campus is situated in the heart of Honolulu, giving students a true perspective of Hawaii's business district. I also can't forget to mention that Fort Street Mall has some of the best food at unbeatable prices! But aside from Hawaii's beauty and "Aloha- spirited" people, there are still a lot of struggles and issues that Hawaii faces. I believe it is important for HPU students to understand their place in Hawaii so that they can learn from it and possibly help the local community in their respective academic fields or back in their hometowns.

Aside from school and work, my winter break has been pretty good. I've spent time with my family and friends and even starting going back to the gym! HPU students also get some membership deals at the YMCA in downtown so it's a great place to relieve some stress and work out. It's also very close to the downtown campus. I hope all of you are having a wonderful break as well and good luck in your next semester!


No comments:

Post a Comment