Monday, January 6, 2014

Student Work Opportunities

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to my second blog entry. I am in the middle of winter break, just finished Christmas and New Years. In my two years at HPU, I am glad I finally chose to register early. Now, all I have to worry about is getting my books, which is very easy to do. The associates at the bookstore are very helpful and accommodating. It has gotten even easier to get books because you can order books online from the HPU bookstore, have it shipped to you, or be ready for you to pick up in the store.

In this particular post, I wanted to note about some interesting work opportunities available at HPU. There are a lot of different departments that offer student jobs; including the tutoring center, Sharky’s Cove (one of the student lounges), student tours, etc. In order to work in the Marketing office (which is where I work), you must be qualified for Federal Work Study under FAFSA.

As a college student, trying to support yourself on your own along with living in beautiful but pricey Hawaii, can be really tough sometimes. But with the right attitude and discipline, it is definitely do- able. That’s why I’m very grateful for the opportunities HPU has offered me both academically and in work experience. Earlier in the previous Fall semester, I was struggling to find work that would accommodate my student commuter lifestyle and academic interest. After browsing through some of the Federal Work Study positions available, I found that the Marketing Department had several openings. One of the open positions was the Media Relations Intern position. I emailed the supervisor, scheduled an interview, and before I knew it I was being trained on how to write news articles for the HPU website, take professional- styled photographs, and assisting in managing various HPU social media.

This month marks my third month as the Media Relations Intern and I have already learned so much and gained real- world knowledge in my major. A lot of students work so hard studying and getting good grades (which is what every student should do), but what really sets your resume apart is experience. I’m glad that HPU has been able to offer me that experience and I’m very grateful for that.


Anyway, I hope this once again provided you better insight in to HPU! Thanks for reading. I’ll be back soon. Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment