Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Student Life- February


Hello Everyone!

     As we approach the half- way mark of the semester, things are definitely starting to pile up. I just had my first round of exams and papers due, which were not too bad considering my study habits have improved from last semester. However, aside from work and academia, there are many exciting events taking place within the university. In this blog entry, I will be talking about student life at HPU and the various activities happening around the campus.

    Particularly, last night I attended “Shark Night” at the Blaisdell Arena! It showcased both our Womens’ and Mens’ Basketball Teams as they went head to head against Fresno Pacific University and also celebrated senior night for the senior players.  We had a great crowd of HPU supporters and different organizations had special giveaways for the event. Most notably, Kam’s Helmets donated dozens of free bicycle and skateboard helmets to students from any school. Kam’s Helmets is a program established by HPU in rememberance of former HPU basketball player Kameron Steinhoff, who passed away from head injuries sustained in a skateboard accident. The program seeks to provide adequate safety helmets to low- income children and community members. Furthermore, the Campus Activities Board (CAB) hosted a student tailgate before the games and provided a free hotdog and drink to all HPU students.

    Last night was HPU’s February Science Pub, showcasing one of HPU’s management and marketing professors- Thomas Kohler. Professor Kohler is the founder of travel2change, a nonprofit organization that combines concepts of social entrepreneurship, business strategy, social activities, travel, and community service. He is actually my Marketing 3000 professor, which is very cool because our class project is focused around travel2change. I enjoy the concepts we are learning in his class and how our project can possibly become a part of travel2change.

    February has generally been a very social month around the campus. The Enactus Club sold various valentine’s gifts and flowers out on Fort Street during the Valentine’s Day Week. They even did classroom deliveries, which is always cute and humorous to see. The Resident Life team also held auditions for “Da Freakshow,” HPU’s talent show. As I’ve stated in my introductory entry, I like to write slam poetry and hip- hop/rap music in my spare time. I auditioned to perform one my songs and was selected for Da Freakshow! I am excitingly looking forward to the event on March 12, which will be held at Hawaii Theatre.


I hope you all are having a great week! Talk to you soon. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment