Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Scholarships and Awards

Hello Everyone!

I hope all of you had a good Valentine’s Day and Presidents’ Day Weekend! The 3- day weekend was definitely needed.  Well, now we’re at about a month and a half in to the semester and it’s nearly almost half- way through! Spring always seems to go by very quickly. School- work has been getting a little bit more challenging as we approach the first round of papers, exams, and projects. However, I’m actually having some fun getting to know my classmates as we work through projects and study together. I have also been getting all my paper work together and contacting professors to write recommendation letters for me for various scholarships; which brings me to this blog’s topic- Scholarships and Awards.
Let’s face it, most of us don’t have excessive college funds and our parents and grandparents are still working to survive. I grew up witnessing my mother struggle through all the hardships of single- parenthood, working two jobs, and she still was able to obtain her college degree (from HPU to be exact, LOL). How ironic right? Anyways, what I’m trying to say is that there is no excuse as to why you cannot pay for school. As I’ve stated, I’m in the military and receive education benefits through Veteran’s Affairs, which help out a lot. But, the military is no easy task and it isn’t for everyone. So, most students rely on government assistance like FAFSA or scholarships and grants.
HPU in particular awards many students based on the information provided in their applications. GPA and academic standing are definitely looked highly upon; but, extra- curricular activities and leadership experience add a lot more to your college application. Personally speaking, I was awarded the O’hana Scholarship due to my academic excellence and well roundedness in high school. I have recently been contacting and visiting the scholarship office frequently to get a head start on applying for scholarships for next school year. I advise all students to start researching scholarships you might be eligible for as soon as you can. That way, you have time to write your personal statement, put together a nice resume, and most importantly, give your professors/mentors time to write letters of recommendation. As you get older, you realize that the people you meet are all part of your social network. Aside from Face Book and online social networks, your professors, coaches, and mentors who have helped you throughout different stages in your life can say a lot about your character and ultimately push your chances at getting scholarships and awards. Schools and businesses will give scholarship money to the students that they feel best fits their candidacy.

Right now, I just sent in applications for two different scholarships and await their decisions. I am nervous but glad that I got those out of the way so I can apply for more. On top of that, I didn’t do as well as I wanted to last semester so this semester I am focusing a lot harder. Hopefully, this will help my chances for scholarships in the future. Don’t ever let money be a barrier to chasing your dreams. If you want something, go out and do whatever is necessary to earn it. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment