Friday, March 14, 2014

Da Freakshow Reflection

Hello fellow bloggers!

I hope everyone had a good week. This week here at HPU has been quite eventful. Like I stated in my last blog, the ‘Iolani Palace tour was very moving for me and glad that I got to learn about Hawaiian history while essentially walking through a preserved palace where royalty once resided. I am very thankful for Dr. Askman for his dedication to sharing Hawaii’s rich heritage and taking the time to showcase the palace to HPU students. Another major event that took place here at HPU was “Da Freakshow,” HPU’s talent show. This post will focus on my experience as a performer and reflect on how it’s such an important showcase to continue for the HPU community.

Like I’ve stated in my previous blogs, I auditioned for Da Freakshow about a month ago. After auditioning I was notified via email by the wonderful crew at Student Life that they wanted to have me perform at the live show. We had a meeting last week to go over the official logistics and guidance for performers. Then, this past Wednesday, on the day of the show, all of the performers met at Hawaii Theatre (which is right across the downtown campus) at noon. We had a dress rehearsal and shortly after put on the whole show!

As a performer, I am very blessed to have been able to showcase my passion for hip- hop music in such a historic venue. To be along the likes of Jack Johnson and other great performers in the past who have also performed at that venue make me very proud of my artistry. The crew at Student Life and the production crew of the theatre were all very welcoming and accommodating. Being that it would be our first major performance for a lot of the performers, they understood how to help us through our nerves and helped us build our confidence. The overall show was amazing. Each performer was shown love by the audience and that truly exhibited the “aloha” spirit that is contagious here in Hawaii.

The highlight of my night was performing my remix to Macklemore’s “Same Love.” As a member of the LGBT community, I wrote my lyrics during the protests regarding the Senate Bill 1- which would grant Marriage Equality for all married couples here in Hawaii. I know this is a controversial topic and not everyone shares the same beliefs on it; but I am glad that I could share my heart out there on stage. I know that people could feel the truth in my lyrics and I had a number of people tell me “good job” after the show. That goes to show that HPU’s atmosphere is very safe for people of all beliefs and lifestyles.

Aside from performing, it was awesome getting to hang out with the rest of the performers back stage. During down time, I got to jam and freestyle a little bit with guitar players, singers, and other rappers. Even if there were only three winners, everyone showed good showmanship and congratulated each other regardless of the prizes. Performing in front of my peers and supporters was a reward all in itself.


Da Freakshow made me very proud to be part of a great university. We may not be as big as some other colleges or have one major campus, but it is through bonding experiences like Da Freakshow that show how open the students and faculty are to new experiences and different talents. I definitely look forward to possibly performing in the show again or even on the volunteer production side. I’m very grateful for the opportunity and look forward for more opportunities to come in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment